Scrunchies making a comeback

Scrunchies were wildly popular in the late ’80s and ’90s, but as the early 2000s rolled around they quietly faded out of the norm.

Now after a few decades of only being adorned for ’80s themed parties and Halloween costumes, scrunchies are making a comeback. 

Clothing has always been a key way for people to show off their personalities and unique sense of style. A scrunchy is an extension of that.

These versatile bands are shooting back onto the fashion scene everywhere, saving hair and adding some flair to any standard updo. 

Annaka Brewer, sophomore in public relations, said she likes scrunchies because they add more style to the plain old sleek ponytail. 

“There’s many different fabrics, colors and patterns scrunchies come in which makes it easy to wear at all occasions,” Brewer said “I definitely think scrunchies are on the comeback because they have the vintage look mixed with modern styles and patterns.”

The bands can add a bright splash of color as an accent piece or subtly tie together an outfit to form a complete look. 

The bands are also kinder on hair as the fabrics are less likely to damage or pull out strands as regular hair ties do. 

Angela Burns, junior in biomedical sciences, said she puts her hair up in a ponytail all the time, and scrunchies are a great way to do it without pulling on her hair.

“They are very useful per the fact that they give your ponytail an extra layer and add a fun element to your outfit,” Burns said. “Scrunchies provide relief from the all too common struggle of ripping out about half your hair anytime you go to change your updo.”

The main reason scrunchies went out of style was the introduction of hair ties in the 2000s, which offered a tighter, sleeker look. 

The problem is hair ties can be too tight, straining on the scalp by pulling hair back too tightly, and when you wear them on your wrist, you are always left with a red mark from where they constricted.

Mary Schulz, senior in physical activity and health, says scrunchies are amazing because they volumize your ponytail, since they are thicker than a regular hair tie.

“I think girls like scrunchies because it’s a simple and cute accessory for your hair,” Schulz said. “I’ve grown up playing sports and always having my hair in a ponytail. I find that they aren’t the most feminine-looking, since I look bald with all my hair pulled back. Since scrunchies give extra volume, I find them more flattering.”

Emily Fackler, sophomore in law, says scrunchies are the best thing to ever happen to hair and are the superior choice for people with curly hair. 

“They’re all I use because my hair doesn’t tangle around them and they don’t make my hair frizzy,” Fackler said. “Plus they’re adorable and can be dressed up or down no matter the situation.”

Whether being worn as a casual bracelet or being used to wrap up a retro outfit, scrunchies are coming back into popularity and all sorts of people are starting to notice. 

One person that has noticed and seen the business potential is Jake Masic, senior in marketing. 

Masic saw the rise in popularity and decided to turn it into a small business venture.

“My mom used to sew, and we had this old sewing machine laying around, so she figured out how to make them and then she taught me,” Masic said. “I thought it would be a good business opportunity, so I can make them now and sell them.”

Masic’s process is a simple one, but the end product is a fully functional and fashionable scrunchie.

“Scrunchies seem like more of a fashion statement to me than hair bands,” Masic said. “You see all kinds of scrunchies coming out now, and I think girls are using them as a way to express themselves.”

Masic said he enjoys making the scrunchies and would love to sell more of them. 

He said he thinks there is definitely a market for them because they are coming back into style, and they offer the opportunity to be custom made products.

“I know in J&M Bookstore they will sell handmade stuff, and I know there is always a demand for local made stuff,” Masic said. “It’s super easy to make them, and I would love to sell more, maybe not as a large scale operation but just on the side for fun.”

Whether you’re making scrunchies, wearing them on your wrist or using them to style your hair, there is no denying that scrunchies are sitting on top of the fashion comeback scene.

Share and discuss “Scrunchies making a comeback” on social media.