Tiger defense dominates New Mexico in blowout despite poor shooting

NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 25:  at Barclays Center  during the Roman Legends Classic on November  25, 2019,  in in the Brooklyn borough of New York City.  (Photo by Porter BInks)
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 25: at Barclays Center during the Roman Legends Classic on November 25, 2019, in in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. (Photo by Porter BInks)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — With collective help from their 13-man rotation, the Tigers dominated New Mexico in the Legends Classic semifinal, 84-59. 

“We got a team where it can be anyone’s night,” senior guard Samir Doughty said.

Auburn, coming off a week of rest, began the game slowly on the offensive end without a basket on its first three possessions.  

The Tigers quickly took advantage of their length and size on the glass collecting multiple offensive rebounds throughout the game. 

“I thought we were physically dominant,” Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. 

Auburn trailed early, 11-14. Then after a couple of timeouts, AU managed to put together a 23-4 run led by a 7-point burst off the bench from Anfernee Mclemore. 

During the run, the Tigers held the Lobos without a point for 7 minutes, which helped give them a 35-24 cushion heading into the half. 

“Everybody had high energy. Everybody was excited to play on the defensive end,”  Wiley said.

A 21-5 run in the first six minutes of the second half helped Auburn distance itself further from New Mexico. Following the run, the Tigers improved shooting after the half, shooting nearly 56% from the field in the final 20 minutes.

Auburn’s defensive intensity was peaking, too, as the team took four charges on the night along with 14 steals and six blocks. 

Auburn also totaled 19 offensive rebounds in the game, led by Austin Wiley's career-high 13 boards. 

“Every offensive rebound is a new possession,” Pearl said. 

Auburn forced New Mexico into 24 turnovers, converting those into 20 points.

The Tigers displayed a clear advantage in transition, outscoring the Lobos 16-4 aided by the multiple turnovers. Despite the transition advantage, the Tigers struggled from the free-throw line, shooting 40% on the night.

Although the Tigers shot 13 for 42 in the first half with 23 of their attempts being 3-point shots, they still managed to force the Lobos into 12 turnovers and 31% shooting. 

Wiley recorded his second double-double of the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds before fouling out of the contest after 18 minutes of play. 

Three other Tigers got into double figures: Doughty with 19 points, Issac Okoro with 12 and McLemore with 10. 

Auburn stays undefeated and moves on to play Richmond in the Legend Classic final Tuesday night at Barclays Center.

Share and discuss “Tiger defense dominates New Mexico in blowout despite poor shooting ” on social media.