Auburn, volleyball coach Rick Nold part ways following 1-17 season in SEC

<p>Auburn volleyball coach Rick Nold gives direction to his players during the Tigers match against Samford University at the Auburn Arena on Saturday, Aug. 29, during the War Eagle Invitational. </p>

Auburn volleyball coach Rick Nold gives direction to his players during the Tigers match against Samford University at the Auburn Arena on Saturday, Aug. 29, during the War Eagle Invitational. 

Coming off a 7-22 season, Auburn and volleyball head coach Rick Nold have mutually agreed to part ways, Auburn athletic director Allen Greene announced Monday.

“We are appreciative of Rick and his contributions to Auburn and its volleyball program the past nine years,” Greene said. “He has represented Auburn in a first-class manner and has impacted our student-athletes in a positive way.” 

Nold and the Tigers were only able to win one game in the SEC, which came in their second matchup against Alabama where they defeated the Crimson Tide 3-0 on Saturday. The Tigers were swept in 12 of their 18 SEC matchups.

Nold was Auburn’s head coach for nine seasons, leading it to an overall 127-139 record, which marks the second-most victories in program history. 

2019 was Auburn’s third-worst season in the SEC, going 1-19 in 2008 and 0-16 in 2002 before going 1-17 this season.

“I’ve enjoyed my time as the head coach at Auburn and appreciate the opportunity to lead the program over the last nine years,” Nold said. “Auburn is a very special place and I will always treasure the relationships with the countless athletes, staff and fans that have been established.”

Nold’s replacement hasn’t been announced, but Auburn says it will begin the search immediately for a new head coach.

Share and discuss “Auburn, volleyball coach Rick Nold part ways following 1-17 season in SEC” on social media.