Heisman trophy winner Pat Sullivan passes away

Former Auburn quarterback and Heisman trophy winner Pat Sullivan has passed away at the age of 69.

Sullivan's family, in a statement Sunday, said he died at home, surrounded by loved ones.

Flowers decorate a statue of Pat Sullivan following news of his passing, on Sunday, Dec. 1, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

"He was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 and fought a long and difficult battle as a result of his treatments. The family is appreciative of everyone's outpouring of love and support," the statement said.
Sullivan played three seasons at Auburn, leading the Tigers to a collective 26-7 record. In his senior season, Sullivan completed 162-of-281 passes for 2,012 yards and 20 touchdowns, resulting in him winning the Heisman trophy.

Following his collegiate career, Sullivan was drafted in the second round by the Atlanta Falcons. Sullivan only played professional football from 1972-1976 before leaving the league to enter the business and coaching world.

Sullivan returned to Auburn in 1986 as the quarterbacks coach under Pat Dye. Sullivan worked at Auburn until leaving to become the head coach at Texas Christian University. His last coaching job was at Samford, where he was the head coach for eight years before retiring in 2014.

The cause of death has not been announced. Sullivan was married to Jean Hicks and they had three children, Kim and twins Kelly and Patrick Jr.

Share and discuss “Heisman trophy winner Pat Sullivan passes away ” on social media.