Offensive explosion leads Tigers to 82-62 victory over South Alabama

<p>AU vs. South Alabama. Via Auburn Athletics.</p>

AU vs. South Alabama. Via Auburn Athletics.

With 4:46 remaining in the third, South Alabama led 47-45 and it looked to be shaping up as a game that would go down to the wire. 

Auburn quickly flipped that script, going on a 16-0 run to end the third and stretch into the fourth, going on to comfortably beat the Jaguars, 82-62.

The Tigers saw five different players score in double figures with one of their best offensive performances all season. Auburn hit 12 3-pointers, making that 25 over the last two games. 

Auburn was led by Brooke Moore, who had 20 points while shooting 7-of-12 from the field and 4-of-6 from 3. 

“I thought Daisa (Alexander) and Brooke (Moore) did a great job setting the tone in the top of our (press), and that got the defense going,” head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said after the game. “And then we took our defense and turned it into points.”

Moore was joined in the double-digit scoring category by Unique Thompson, who posted 15 points and 10 rebounds. This was Thompson’s ninth straight double-double, dating back to last season. Thompson is also the only player in the NCAA with a double-double in every game her team has played in this year.

Behind Thompson was Daisa Alexander and Erin Howard who both had 14 points, with Howard adding six rebounds and a career-high four steals. 

The fifth Tiger to get double-digit scoring was freshman Lauren Hansen who had 10 points along with four assists. 

Defense has been a common theme early for the young Tigers team, but it wasn’t a problem against the Jaguars.

“We had been in some tight situations, and we knew in those situations that we needed to get some stops,” Williams-Flournoy said. “We really got down and got some stops, our backline started rotating properly, coming up and trapping that diagonal pass they were throwing. I thought we did a really good job there.” 

This win marked Auburn’s 25th straight over South Alabama and the Tigers were able to shoot a season-high 53.3% (32-for-60) while shooting 50% (12-for-24) from 3. 

The Tigers play their fifth and final road game of this stretch against TCU on Saturday at 2 p.m. CST as part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge. 

Share and discuss “Offensive explosion leads Tigers to 82-62 victory over South Alabama” on social media.