Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele gets contract extension through 2022

“Kevin has done a fantastic job with our defense the last four years making it one of the best in the country,” Malzahn said. “This will provide great stability and leadership for our defense in the future. I’m appreciative of Kevin’s hard work.

Auburn Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele walks onto the field prior to the start of Auburn Football vs. Alabama, on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele has signed a new deal that will keep him on staff through the 2022 season. 

Malzahn announced the contract extension on Tuesday.

“Kevin has done a fantastic job with our defense the last four years making it one of the best in the country,” Malzahn said. “This will provide great stability and leadership for our defense in the future. I’m appreciative of Kevin’s hard work.”

Steele first took over as defensive coordinator in 2016 and was able to quickly transform the defense. In 2017, Steele was a finalist for the Broyles Award for the top assistant coach in college football. The Tigers ranked 12th nationally in scoring defense and 14th in total defense during that season.

This past season, defense was the strong suit of the Auburn team, only allowing more than 24 points to Alabama and Minnesota.

Over the past four years under Steele, Auburn’s defense has been ranked in the top 20 nationally for scoring defense and is also one of only five FBS programs to hold opponents to under 20 points per game over the last four seasons.

Going into next season Steele will have to replace defensive line playmakers Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson who will be headed to play at the next level. Along with the defensive line, four of the five starters in the secondary will have to be replaced. 

In 2019 Steele was the fourth-highest paid assistant, earning $1.9 million. The monetary details of the extension have not been announced.

Share and discuss “Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele gets contract extension through 2022” on social media.