Auburn student shouts xenophobic remark during Tennessee game

“Go back to Uruguay. This is America," the student shouted.

J'Von McCormick (5) during the Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Tennessee game on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

An Auburn student was escorted from the student section after making a xenophobic remark during Auburn's game against Tennessee on Saturday.

The news was first reported by Tom Green of Alabama Media Group.

The student's identity has not been disclosed. He was identified and ejected from the arena by Auburn officials.

The xenophobic remark came in the first half of the game and was aimed at Santiago Vescovi, a freshman guard for Tennessee who is from Montevideo, Uruguay. 

The remarks could be heard during the televised broadcast of the game on CBS.

“Go back to Uruguay. This is America,” the student shouted.

Bruce Pearl told reporters after the game that he was aware of the incident.

“I was informed, and I appreciate the way Auburn handled it," Pearl said. “That’s not who we are at all. This is an amazing campus with incredible students. We are diverse and welcoming. I have nothing but respect for Santiago’s game. That one person does not speak for the whole Auburn family.”

Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said he wasn't aware of the Auburn student's xenophobic remark during the game, but he was told about it later.

“Once they found out about it, they took care of it," Barnes said. "I’m glad they did. I haven’t given any thought to it, but our administration told me that Auburn did what needed to be done, and that’s good by me.”

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn student shouts xenophobic remark during Tennessee game” on social media.