Students elect Caroline Willoughby as SGA treasurer

Caroline Willoughby was elected Treasurer of SGA during callouts on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

A huddle of people in dark green T-shirts jumped and cheered as the elections council announced Caroline Willoughby as the first female SGA treasurer. 

Willoughby, junior in accounting, ran on the platform "Wager with Willoughby," with a focus on serving the Auburn community both on and off campus. After working as an SGA director of city relations and a senator for the College of Business, Willoughby said she was ready to help students in a new way. 

“For me it really means to be able to have an opportunity to serve the student body in a way I haven’t been in the past by helping them managing their finances," she said.

There were three main components to Willoughby's platform: working with the Downtown Merchants Associations to help students save money while shopping downtown, working to educate students on their monthly budget and increasing student's knowledge on the Auburn student activities budget.

“As a student on scholarship, I know how much of a financial burden college can be, and in the past the student government treasurer has done a really great job of managing the student activities funds, but for me it’s really the ability to bring that closer to the students and help them manage their own money on and off campus in ways they haven’t in the past," Willoughby said. 

She said the entire campaign process has taught her a lot about the people in Auburn. 

"Over this past week it’s being able to see how much the student body's support can mean and how much love there is, so I’m excited," Willoughby said. 

Micheal Thomas, sophomore in finance, was the other candidate for treasurer. He expressed how thankful he was to have had the opportunity to run in this election. 

"I just want so say that I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve in this capacity, and I enjoyed the process and meeting all the other candidates,” Thomas said. “Everyone ran incredible campaigns, and I am excited to see the future of Auburn, and I wish the new officers best of luck.”

Willoughby will succeed Hunter Short, senior in accounting and supply chain management.

Share and discuss “Students elect Caroline Willoughby as SGA treasurer ” on social media.