Tigers routed on the road, remain winless all-time against Texas A&M

<p>Auburn huddles during Auburn women's basketball vs. Miss State on Feb. 20, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Auburn huddles during Auburn women's basketball vs. Miss State on Feb. 20, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn women’s basketball remains winless in the all-time series against Texas A&M after suffering a 84-54 loss to the No. 16 Aggies on Sunday. 

The Tigers continue to struggle on the road, now 1-9 this season away from Auburn Arena. It’s the biggest margin of defeat for Auburn on the season.

The Aggie offense was relentless in the first half overall, scoring 44 points and shooting 62.1% from the field. Twenty-five of the 44 points came in the first ten minutes, where the Aggies closed on a 12-2 run to outscore Auburn 25-11 in the first quarter. 

The charge was led by junior guard Chennedy Carter, who finished the half with 14 points and shot 6-of-8 from the field, including 2-for-2 from 3-point range. 

“They were just hitting shots,” Auburn coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “[Carter] and [Wells] were in double figures at halftime. We knew they were 3-point shooters, we knew they could score.”

Auburn also shot well in the first half, shooting 48% from the field and knocking down five 3-pointers in the first half. 

Two of these came from freshman Lauren Hansen, her only points of the afternoon. Down 17 with 6:19 left in the second quarter, the Tigers went on a 9-0 run to bring it within eight, only trailing 40-32 with 1:22 remaining until halftime. Texas A&M answered with a pair of jump shots and took a 44-32 lead into the locker room.

Texas A&M’s offense picked up where it left off in the third quarter, starting the quarter on an 8-2 run. The lead was extended to 52-34 and as time rolled on, any chance Auburn had of a comeback slowly diminished.

Any area around the paint was controlled by Texas A&M, as it outscored Auburn 38-16 in the paint. 

The Aggies controlled the glass on both sides of the ball as well, out-rebounding Auburn 43-21, with 17 offensive rebounds. From the 17 offensive rebounds, A&M had 23 second chance points compared to Auburn’s 12. 

Auburn never led in the game and was outscored 40-22 in the second half, only scoring five points in the fourth quarter.

“It’s a game of runs, but at the end of the day, you’ve got to make defensive stops,” Coach Flo said. “We just didn’t make enough defensive stops.”

Carter was electric for Texas A&M and finished the day with a team-leading 23 points, going 10-of-16 from the field with two 3-pointers. 

Daisa Alexander was the leading scorer for Auburn, finishing the afternoon with 15 points and a team-leading four assists. Unique Thompson failed to reach a double-double for only the fifth time this season.

Auburn’s next game is Thursday at Missouri, with tip off set for 7 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Tigers routed on the road, remain winless all-time against Texas A&M” on social media.