Tigers threaten late, but fall 2-0 to No. 5 Arizona

Alyssa Rivera (21) during the Auburn Softball vs. Alabama State on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Despite having two more hits and two fewer errors in Saturday’s game against Arizona, the Tigers failed to get anyone across home plate, losing 2-0. They are now 1-3 at the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs, CA. They drop to 9-6 on the season.

The Tigers ended the day leaving a total of ten players on base. Two of these came from a rally in the 7th inning. Junior Tyler King, who went 2-3 on the day, singled to get on base, and Tannon Snow was intentionally walked. Despite having runners on first and third, sophomore Aspyn Godwin grounded out to the pitcher, ending Auburn’s hope for a late inning comeback.

Lexie Handley and Ashlee Swindle combined for six innings, and only allowed one earned run on two hits, both of which were singles. Swindle was perfect after coming into the game in the fourth inning, allowing no walks and no hits. 

The Wildcat’s scored once in the third and once in the fourth, both off of sacrifice flies from outfielders Janelle Meono and Alyssa Palomino-Cardoza.

Auburn’s next game is on Sunday, Feb. 23 against UCLA, their last game in California before heading back to Auburn for the Tiger Invitational next weekend.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Tigers threaten late, but fall 2-0 to No. 5 Arizona ” on social media.