Auburn mayor urges residents to 'stay at home' as EAMC begins to fill

Mayor Ron Anders is encouraging residents to stay at home after receiving updates Sunday regarding the current state of Lee County and the COVID-19 virus from East Alabama Medical Center CEO Laura Grill. 

“The hospital is starting to fill its beds and its ICU, and so it’s important that we don’t create habits or create dangers to our community that were to put all of us at risk because our hospital is so overrun that we cannot receive the kind of medical attention that we need,” Anders said in a video statement released Monday morning. 

Currently, EAMC is performing many tests, but they don't have the results back yet, Anders said. Still, EAMC has a plan in place and is working hard to ensure the community has the medical care it needs, the mayor added. 

Anders and Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller were apart of the conversation with Grill. 

Anders said it is important to continue to be vigilant in all the requests health officials have made during this pandemic. These include washing your hands thoroughly as much as possible, keeping six feet between yourself and those around you, staying at home and using proper cough etiquette by covering your mouth. 

In the video statement, Anders also noted it is important to know where children are going. Younger people appear to be less likely to have serious symptoms of this virus, but they could be carriers of the illness, Anders said.

“Our children that are out and about — make sure that they also know the seriousness of this practice of staying apart from one another, not gathering in groups,” Anders said. 

The community has challenging times ahead, Anders said. But he encouraged community members to stay patient, practice good hygiene and be respectful by staying six feet apart from people.

“We can get through this Auburn,” Anders said. “We can get through this, but it’s going to be difficult, so hang in there.”

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Auburn mayor urges residents to 'stay at home' as EAMC begins to fill” on social media.