City cancels some spring events; public meetings will continue

<p>The newly elected Auburn City Council meets for the first time on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

The newly elected Auburn City Council meets for the first time on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. 

Click here to see The Plainsman's full coverage of COVID-19 in the Auburn-Opelika area.

The City of Auburn will cancel several upcoming events as the Alabama Department of Public Health confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Montgomery County and recommended canceling meetings of over 500 people in the state.

The following is a list of canceled events according to a release from the City:

· Bark in the Park

· Tails n' Trails

· Ride and Seek 

· Earth Day programs for Auburn City Schools’ second graders

· Breakfast with the Bunny

· Easter Egg Hunt

· Spring Skate Jam

Anyone who purchased tickets for any of these events will be issued a full refund, including online ticket fees. 

The City will continue to hold public meetings and programs, such as City Council meetings, as planned but encouraged those who are more susceptible to illness to evaluate and consider the risk of visiting such a high-traffic area.

The City has engaged its business continuity plan to continue to safely provide services to Auburn residents. 

City staff members are regularly disinfecting high-traffic surfaces as a way to proactively prevent the spread of germs at public facilities. City employees are also encouraged to practice social distancing and other health precautions recommended by the CDC, according to a release from the City.

The City’s COVID-19 Task Force is in regular contact with local, state and regional resources to remain informed of the latest updates and recommendations, according to the press release. 

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “City cancels some spring events; public meetings will continue” on social media.