Doughty, Okoro voted All-SEC

Samir Doughty (10) during the Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Tennessee game on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Two Auburn basketball players were named All-SEC by the league’s coaches on Tuesday. 

The league announced that senior Samir Doughty had been selected to the First Team All-SEC and true freshman Isaac Okoro was selected to the Second Team All-SEC, as well as the SEC All-Defensive Team and SEC All-Freshman Team. 

Doughty is the first Tiger to earn the first-team honor since 1999, when both Chris Porter and Doc Robinson were tabbed All-SEC. The senior guard from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has doubled his points per game this season from his junior year and is on pace to average over 16 points a game, making him the fourth guard under Bruce Pearl to average more than 16 points per game in a season.

The senior has been relied on all regular season as one of Auburn’s top scorers, leading the team in scoring in 15 of the 31 regular season games. Eleven times thus far, Doughty has reached the 20-point mark in a game. In the 75 career games prior to this season, Doughty had only reached the 20-point mark twice.

Okoro became the first Auburn freshman since 2005 to earn the achievement of All-SEC honors when he was selected to Second Team All-SEC on Tuesday. The Powder Springs, Georgia, native is averaging 12.9 points a game, one of only seven freshman in the nation to average double figures in that category. He has the highest field-goal percentage in the nation among freshmen who have made at least 15 3-pointers. 

Okoro's high-level of play throughout his freshman campaign also earned him a spot on the SEC All-Freshman team and the SEC All-Defensive team. He was the only freshman voted to the All-Defensive team.

Both Doughty and Okoro will be in action Friday evening as No. 20 Auburn will face the winner of Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC Tournament in Nashville, Tennessee. 

The game will tip at 6 p.m. CST and will be broadcasted on SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Doughty, Okoro voted All-SEC” on social media.