EDITORIAL: Stay home

<p>Produced by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in collaboration with Colorado State University, this highly magnified, digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image, reveals ultrastructural details at the site of interaction of two spherical shaped, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) viral particles, colorized blue, that were on the surface of a camel epithelial cell, colorized red.<br>
</p>

Produced by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in collaboration with Colorado State University, this highly magnified, digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image, reveals ultrastructural details at the site of interaction of two spherical shaped, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) viral particles, colorized blue, that were on the surface of a camel epithelial cell, colorized red.

COVID-19 is here. There is no more normal.

Schools around the country are shutting their doors. All forms of live entertainment have gone dark, and people are spending the coming weeks locked inside. Auburn isn’t exempt. 

On March 12, the University announced that it would be shifting to remote learning and urging students not to come back after spring break. It is commendable that Auburn followed suit with a majority of campuses around the country in such a swift manner.

Gov. Kay Ivey and the Alabama Department of Public Health issued statewide shutdowns on Thursday of all public and private beaches, dine-in restaurants and bars and childcare facilities.

These are unprecedented measures. It’s now our civic duty to help protect those who are more susceptible to get sick from the disease.

This isn’t an extension of spring break or early summer. There’s no partying or going on vacation. Everyone needs to stay home. 

The American healthcare system cannot support millions of Americans potentially needing treatment for this disease. Some things are more important than physically going to class and getting an education.

As of publication, students are supposed to return on April 10, but there’s a possibility that even that date will be moved back. 

And it will be worth it.

As a community, as a family, we all need to pull in and make sacrifices. It doesn’t matter where you live. Any travel that isn’t you going to get groceries or to a medical clinic is non-essential. Cases are only going to increase in the country and in Alabama. 

Now is not the time to ignore warnings from health experts. Now is the time to socially distance ourselves and save lives. Now is the time to stay home.

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: Stay home” on social media.