University says some operations will continue during pandemic

<p><em>Photo Illustration</em></p>

Photo Illustration

Auburn University will continue to “conduct full university operations” during the COVID-19 outbreak, according to a letter sent to faculty and staff by Bill Hardgrave, Auburn University provost and senior vice president for academic affairs.

According to the letter, while major elements of the University such as on-campus student housing, on-campus dining, Auburn University Libraries and the Recreation and Wellness Center will be closed, all other University operations will remain open. 

This will include employee and student pharmacies, which will be open for normal business hours, according to an Auburn News email.

“If desired, patients can have prescriptions delivered to their vehicles in the parking lot to ensure social distancing,” the email stated.

Also, the University’s Division of Student Affairs is continuing on-campus housing, meals and essential services for international students or others unable to return home. 

However, due to the virus, all faculty or staff members who can work remotely are being encouraged to do so.

“Faculty and staff whose university duties can be either entirely or partially performed remotely should do so,” Hardgrave said. 

Working remotely does not necessarily mean working off-campus. Most of the University’s office buildings will remain open.

“Faculty and staff who want to substitute working a few days remotely with a few days in the office may do so,” Hardgrave said.

Mail delivery for faculty and staff will also continue, and students temporarily moved out of their dorms can have their mail forwarded to them.

Safe Harbor, Auburn’s program to help those who have experienced some form of power-based personal violence, will continue to offer support via phone, video call and email. 

Overall, Hardgrave said in his letter that "our instructional mission should continue." 

Share and discuss “University says some operations will continue during pandemic” on social media.