Auburn equestrian named SEC champions after shortened season

<p>Auburn's championship trophies at the&nbsp;celebration of Auburn's fifth equestrian national championship in Auburn, Ala. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.</p>

Auburn's championship trophies at the celebration of Auburn's fifth equestrian national championship in Auburn, Ala. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.

After having its season cut short, the SEC announced on Tuesday that the No. 1-ranked Auburn equestrian team is the SEC champion.

The Tigers finished a perfect 13-0 while going 6-0 in SEC play.

"I didn't know how we could have ever topped a year like last year, but this team found a way," head coach Greg Williams said in a press release. “Finishing the regular season as the No. 1 team and No. 1 in every event puts an exclamation point on the meaning of a perfect season. Being a member of the SEC is an honor alone and having the conference present such a coveted trophy to this outstanding group of young women makes me beyond proud."

Auburn has now won the conference title three times, with the first in 2016 to go along with a championship in 2019 and now 2020.

The team has not lost in two years, with 12 of its 13 wins this year coming against opponents ranked in the top 10.

Along with finishing first in all five national rankings, Auburn finished first in Flat, Fences, Horsemanship and Reining. 

Share and discuss “Auburn equestrian named SEC champions after shortened season ” on social media.