Online instruction is new norm for Parks and Rec classes

While classes for schools and universities have moved online as a precaution against the coronavirus, other types of classes have also had to change to remote instruction on the internet.

Auburn Parks and Recreation has canceled all of its in-person classes to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and many classes are now held online.

Several instructors have already sent videos of their classes, said Gabby Filgo, community programs manager for the City of Auburn. Others are hosting live sessions through Facebook Live, Skype or Zoom.

Filgo has already uploaded her first Zumba Gold video as well as videos for yoga, knitting and the music exercise program for those ages 50 and above, Silver Sneakers. Programs such as the Read and Reflect Book Club for Seniors, Total Brain Health memory classes, Yin Yoga, Samantha Meditation and chess will hold live sessions on various platforms.

Running online classes is a little bit different for the public parks department than a private company or personal instructor, she said.

“Because we’re the City of Auburn, we have to follow rules a little more strictly than a typical instructor,” Filgo said. “We have to caption our videos and do things like that, so it is sometimes a little more difficult [to provide online resources].”

In-person classes have already been canceled through the end of April, but the department is planning summer programs, Filgo said. They are staying in close communication with City Manager Jim Buston to follow all guidelines and cancel future programs if necessary.

“As of right now, summer programs have not been canceled,” Filgo said. “We are focusing on our summer camps and our pools. We’re planning for those as normal unless we get notice otherwise.”

Videos being uploaded throughout the quarantine will not be taken down after in-class sessions resume, Filgo said. Instructors may choose to continue uploading online class materials based on interest.

The department is also working on a drive-thru farmers market for the end of April, Filgo said. Customers will be able to order ahead of time, and their items will be put in the back of their cars without contact. The drive-thru market, called Curbside City Market, will take place on April 25 from 8–11:30 a.m. at the Harris Center, according to the City's website. 

Orders can be mailed to the Harris Center or submitted online. Online orders can be placed through April 21 at 5 p.m. All payments must be made in cash to a secure mailbox between the Harris Center and the Jan Dempsey Community Arts center. 

Upon arrival, customers must stay in their cars and unlock their trunks for vehicles to be loaded.

Employees are still reporting to work, though additional precautions have been put in place in the office to stay well, Filgo said. Immunocompromised employees or employees or with children no longer in daycare are allowed to work from home, however. Meetings are held over Zoom instead of in person.

Links to online resources can be found on Auburn Parks and Recreation’s website.

Share and discuss “Online instruction is new norm for Parks and Rec classes” on social media.