Top prospect Jalen Green bypassing college, plans to enter G-League

Green will go straight to the G-League, playing under a one-year “Select Contract” before being able to enter the draft in one year.

<p>Credit: FIBA / Team USA Basketball</p>

Credit: FIBA / Team USA Basketball

After making a late push, and at times even being believed to be the leader, five-star target Jalen Green will not be going to Auburn, or any college for that matter, and is opting to play professionally straight out of high school.

"My ultimate goal is to make it to the NBA so I will be joining the NBA G-League," Green said during his Instagram live announcement.

According to a report from The Athletic, Green's deal is in the range of $500,000 but he will be able to make more with endorsements, appearances and education. 

The Select Contract was introduced in October 2018 by the NBA, but hasn't been used much by recruits. 

With Green on-board, the G-League now plans to create a "Select Team" in a designated city with a few roster spots for elite high school players according to a Yahoo Sports report. 

Recently, players like R.J. Hampton and LaMelo Ball had gone to the NBL league in Australia, but the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic likely made that more difficult for Green.

Green is a prolific scorer who was viewed as a potential No. 1 overall pick this year, had he been eligible.  

Hailing from Prolific Prep high school in Napa, California, Green was the No. 3 player in the class according to 247Sports. Green had 19 college offers and was heavily considering Auburn and Memphis at the end.

"A big thanks to Auburn, Memphis and Fresno State," Green said. "I appreciate y'all."

Had Green committed to Auburn, he would’ve been the highest-rated recruit to ever commit. That title still currently stands with 2020 commit Sharife Cooper.

Green told Yahoo Sports that had he chosen to go to college, it would have been Memphis, led by head coach Penny Hardaway, and not Auburn.

However, Auburn still remains in the mix for five-star forward Greg Brown, the No. 10 player in the country who will be committing next Friday, April 24. 

Auburn also recently has picked up some momentum for 2021’s No. 1 overall player, Jonathan Kuminga. Kuminga has been looking to reclassify to the 2020 class and said a top five school list is coming soon.

With Green going pro, Auburn still has two scholarship spots open on the 2020 roster.

Share and discuss “Top prospect Jalen Green bypassing college, plans to enter G-League” on social media.