Auburn set to take on Memphis in Holiday Hoopsgiving

Bruce Pearl during College Game Day on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

The 2020 non-conference schedule for Auburn men’s basketball is starting to take shape with the addition of the Memphis Tigers to the schedule. 

Auburn will take its show on the road to Atlanta to participate in the 2020 installment of Holiday Hoopsgiving. Auburn and Memphis are set to play on Dec. 12 in Atlanta at State Farm Arena. 

Auburn and Memphis’s matchup is part of a quadruple-header that features Dayton vs. Mississippi State, Alabama vs. Clemson and LSU vs. South Florida. 

Auburn has only faced Memphis once in program history, a 78-64 road win on Jan. 2, 1953. Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl is looking forward to the contest against Memphis in Atlanta.    

"We are very excited about playing in State Farm Arena in downtown Atlanta, home of the Atlanta Hawks," Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said. "What a great opportunity for our student-athletes to compete against a top program in Memphis.” 

"We have so many great fans and alumni in Atlanta, and I'm challenging them to sell the place out. Congratulations to Chris Williams and the VII Group for putting on what promises to be a great event. We are also pleased with the event's support of the Mike Slive Foundation for prostate cancer research."

Since the 2017-18 season, Auburn and Memphis have both been winning consistently with Auburn amassing an 81-24 record, while Memphis is 64-37 in that same time frame.

Auburn’s non-conference showdown in Atlanta will be just the third time since 1990 that the Tigers have played a non-conference game in Atlanta. Prior to the announcement of Auburn vs. Memphis, Auburn’s last non-conference showdown in Atlanta came in 2013 against Illinois. 

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Auburn set to take on Memphis in Holiday Hoopsgiving ” on social media.