Auburn University receives $1.3 million in state-sponsored research grants

Montgomery, AL
Montgomery, AL

Auburn University was awarded over $1.3 million in grants from Montgomery on Monday.

The grants, administered by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs, come from the Alabama Research and Development Enhancement Fund for supporting research projects in the state, according to a press release from ADECA.

“This fund will enable our universities, hospitals, research institutions and others to develop and bring to fruition ideas that will improve lives and create jobs,” said Gov. Kay Ivey in the release. “I am tremendously encouraged by this program and its potential in Alabama.”

Auburn is joined by the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology in Huntsville as grant recipients.

The three grants given to Auburn University total $1,307,970. Their amounts and the projects they support are listed here as they are in the press release:

• Auburn University — $245,865 to develop an advanced biosensor using forest and agricultural products that will have a wide variety of uses dealing with contaminant detection, like determining if pesticides are present in water.
  • Auburn University — $868,145 to develop a lightweight material that blocks mosquito bites yet retains its ability to retain coolness in hot weather.
  • Auburn University — $193,960 to develop a filtering process to remove perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances from water and landfill runoff. The manmade substances are used in food packaging, stain repellents, cookware and firefighting foam and do not readily break down.

HudsonAlpha received $969,409 to “improve personal health care through shared use among medical professionals of a patient’s genetic profile.”

“Gov. Ivey is partial to home-grown innovation especially when it results in jobs for Alabamians,” said ADECA Director Kenneth Boswell. “ADECA is pleased and honored to be a partner in this program that can have such a meaningful impact on our state.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn University receives $1.3 million in state-sponsored research grants” on social media.