Bo Nix named to the Davey O'Brien Award watch list

Bo Nix (10) attempts to pass the ball during Auburn Football vs. Minnesota on Jan. 1, 2020, in Tampa, Fla.

This upcoming football season, Auburn quarterback Bo Nix will be at the helm for the Tigers and now has an opportunity for one of the nation’s top awards. 

On Monday, the Davey O’Brien Foundation announced that the rising sophomore made the Davey O’Brien Award watch list.

The Davey O’Brien Award, given annually to the nation’s best college quarterback, started in 1977 and is named after former TCU and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Davey O’Brien.

Nix is one of only eight sophomores to make the list. He is coming off a freshman season that saw him throw for 2,542 yards, rush for 313 yards and score a combined 23 touchdowns, earning him SEC Freshman of the Year.

In 2010 Cam Newton became the only Auburn quarterback to win the Davey O’Brien after a junior season that saw him pass for 2,854 yards, rush for 1,473 yards and score 51 total touchdowns. 

Since then, three other Auburn quarterbacks have been named to the Davey O’Brien Award watch list: Nick Marshall in 2014, Jeremy Johnson in 2015, and Jarrett Stidham in 2018.

Sixteen semifinalists will be announced on Tuesday, Nov. 10. Two weeks later, three finalists will be announced on Tuesday, Nov. 24, and the winner will be announced during The Home Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, Dec. 10, on ESPN.

Here’s the full watch list, which was shown during the reveal on Youtube.

Share and discuss “Bo Nix named to the Davey O'Brien Award watch list” on social media.