University Housing announces ‘Safe and Simple’ fall move-in

<p>The Quad residence halls on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Quad residence halls on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University Housing recently outlined its “Safe and Simple” move-in plan ahead of the return of students to Auburn’s campus residence halls for the fall 2020 semester. AUH said the plan aims to “ensure the health of safety of our residents and their families” through some adjustments to standard move-in procedures.

Much like usual, the move-in process will occur over the first few weeks of August, with different student groups moving in on designated days. Move-in will begin on July 31 for returning Panhellenic members, who have until Aug. 3 to finish moving in. All Auburn University Marching Band members are scheduled to move in on Aug. 2. Potential new Panhellenic members and students who choose early move-in will have from Aug. 4-7 to complete the process, according to University Housing.

Following early move-in, regular move-in will take place during the week of Aug. 10-14. Lastly, on-campus students living in 160 Ross as part of the University’s new affiliate housing program will move-in on Aug. 13. Residents moving in early, before Aug. 10, will be charged a $90 early move-in fee.

Students may move in residence halls on their designated days between 7 a.m.-4 p.m., except for those moving in Aug. 7, who have until 2 p.m. because of Panhellenic recruitment. Time slots will be selected during registration, and students must arrive only during the time they picked, University Housing said.

Check-in differs from other years in that it will be a curbside process that follows social distancing recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control.

“Residents will drive up to the designated check-in location during their designated arrival time,” University Housing said. “Residents will show staff their arrival time email and a photo ID and will give their name, hall and room number. AUH staff will check in the resident online and hand the resident their welcome packet.”

Welcome packets include each student’s room key, a hang tag for move-in vehicles and a survey students can complete later on. Those moving in will receive maps to their unloading zone digitally and are asked to “immediately” begin moving items from vehicles when they arrive.

“Residents can place their items on the curb while they move their vehicle from the unloading zone to their designated parking area,” University Housing said. “If a resident has other people with them, we recommend having on person move the car while the resident or someone else waits with their items.”

Volunteers will be absent out of safety and health concerns, and move-in equipment will not be provided; however, there will be housing staff supervising unloading zones. Residents are instead encouraged to bring their own move-in equipment.

To further ensure safe health practices, University Housing will provide hand sanitizer at all residence halls, and there will be a limit on elevator capacity. Housing staff, residents and families will be required to wear masks in compliance with the University’s mask policy for campus buildings and facilities.

Move-in registration opened on June 17 and will close on July 10. The full plan is available to read on University Housing’s website and includes information on registration, overnight accommodations and unloading and parking zone locations.

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “University Housing announces ‘Safe and Simple’ fall move-in” on social media.