Auburn graduate seeks authenticity through artwork

Caleb Murphree, a graduate from Auburn University’s class of 2020, has taken the world of creativity by storm through his formation of Sons Of. 

Sons Of is the culmination of paintings, sketches, and deeper thought. 

“Sons Of was created from a realization that most of us live our lives without really understanding the power that a moment can hold,” Murphee said.

Murphree said he works to create art that draws from the idea that “moments add up to remind me that this life is worth living, not just surviving.”

He explained that is the main inspiration behind Sons Of. 

“My drawings focus on life as we live it; my writings focus on our everyday thoughts and my paintings focus on the spirituality that I believe brings it all together,” he said. “The non-negotiable part is …  it’s got to add value to someone.”

Being a post-graduate, Murphree is living and working in Auburn. 

“Visual art and poetry are my creative outlets, but that is just a small part of what comprises my life,” he said. 

Murphree said his driving passions in life are mentorship, leadership, storytelling, ministry and coffee.

He explained his life’s purpose is “to support people who want to change the world, develop young leaders, and change the way people see culture’s role in their lives.”

Murphree said he made the decision to pursue art four years ago when he started school at Auburn. 

“I needed a creative outlet, and decided to ‘get good’ at art,” he said. “From there, I disciplined myself to draw two hours a day until I felt like I could begin creating my own original content.” 

As he never took any classes or any formal training for art, Murphree explained: “I just make it up as I go.”

Seeking new horizons, Murphree said his upcoming work is titled “Iterations of Thought.”

““Iterations of Thought’ is my newest collection of drawings and writings centered around how concepts are created in our mind,” Murphee said. “I’m diving into how we think about love, fear, hope and identity.” 

He said his new idea will come “in the form of a book that will be on display at Uniq Coffee beginning in mid-September.” 

In addition to the work of painting and sketching, Murphree mentions his love for leadership and the learning process art involves. 

He said he enjoys “learning about the different art forms” such as dancing and the music. 

In his fascination with music, Murphee noted: “I pride myself on my Spotify playlists.”

Murphree’s art is on display at Uniq coffee, near downtown Auburn, and for more updates, he can be found on Instagram @the.sons.of.

Abigail Woods | Culture Editor

Abigail Woods, magazine journalism, is the culture editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

@abigailewoods

Share and discuss “Auburn graduate seeks authenticity through artwork” on social media.