Auburn Panhellenic earns national excellence award

<p>Auburn University's Greek Life office located in the Student Center.</p>

Auburn University's Greek Life office located in the Student Center.

The Auburn University Panhellenic Council was awarded the 2020 National Panhellenic Conference’s Excellence Award last month on Aug. 10 for its national merit as a College Panhellenic Association. Auburn Panhellenic has won this award once before in 2017.

“The NPC Excellence Award is granted to College Panhellenic Associations that demonstrate outstanding contributions in the following categories: academic innovation, community impact, judicial procedure, leadership, marketing, programming, and recruitment,” said Madison Birckhead, president of Auburn Panhellenic. “For perspective, NPC sororities are located on more than 670 campuses internationally.”

The NPC is an umbrella organization for 26 national women’s sororities across the United States and Canada. They define themselves as the “premier advocacy and support organization for the advancement of the sorority experience.”

Every year, multiple colleges receive the NPC Excellence Award for their outstanding contributions in various categories. In 2020, there were 25 college Panhellenic associations that received the award. 

Birckhead said Auburn Panhellenic is honored to receive this award, and it sees it as proof of hard work the association has done for sororities on campus. 

“Auburn sees this honor as a testament to the hard work that all of our women put forth in an effort to make our community stronger,” Birckhead said. “In our code of ethics, it is written that ‘as members of Auburn Panhellenic, we stand for academic excellence, social responsibility, leadership and service to our college campus and community’. The NPC Excellence Award is affirmation that these founding ideals are leading the way and establishing the future of Auburn Panhellenic.”

Birckhead began serving as the Auburn Panhellenic Council president during the fall 2019 semester. She said she is proud to be the Panhellenic leader during this time and is honored to serve as president during the reception of this award. 

“Personally, I am so humbled to be leading our community in a time such as this and to be surrounded by women who steadfastly strive to improve our community and strengthen one another,” she said. “I am so thankful to see the work of these women be recognized on a national level and I truly could not be more proud to be a part of Auburn Panhellenic.”

The Auburn Panhellenic Council was founded 91 years ago in 1929. Since then, Auburn has “served as a voice, an advocate, a resource, and a community for women on Auburn’s campus”, according to the website. Auburn University hosts 18 Greek chapters under the Panhellenic association.

Share and discuss “Auburn Panhellenic earns national excellence award” on social media.