Board of Trustees approves STEM and Agricultural Sciences Complex

<p>Samford Hall in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Samford Hall in Auburn, Ala.

The Auburn University Board of Trustees approved the construction of a STEM and agricultural sciences complex at its Sept. 4 meeting proposed by the Office of the Provost.

The complex aims to serve as a combined facility for the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, the Department of Geosciences and the College of Agriculture. It will replace each department's previous facilities that have "exceeded their useful lives and are inadequate in terms of size, accessibility and modern functionality," according to Simon Yendle, University architect.

The University will receive $36 million in state bond funding to complete the project after submitting a proposal to Alabama's state government in December 2019.

The Department of Mathematics and Statistics will relocate from Parker Hall, the Department of Geosciences will move from Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum and departments of the College of Agriculture will relocate from Funchess Hall.

"This proposed STEM and [agricultural] complex is envisioned to provide a state-of-the-art instructional and research classroom and laboratory space," Yendle said. "It will also enable those departments to collaborate and innovate in direct support of the state development economic priorities."

The University also anticipates the facility will be financed by Public School and College Authority Funds, college reserves and gifts and university bond funding with debts paid by University General Funds.

Following approval from the Board of Trustees, the University is set to begin the architect selection process.

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves STEM and Agricultural Sciences Complex” on social media.