SEC establishes new basketball start dates

<p>Bruce Pearl speaks to an audience of media and students at a press conference in the Auburn Arena. Raye May / DESIGN EDITOR</p>

Bruce Pearl speaks to an audience of media and students at a press conference in the Auburn Arena. Raye May / DESIGN EDITOR

The SEC has released start dates for its men’s and women’s 2020-'21 basketball conference schedule.

Men’s basketball will start conference play on Dec. 29 and 30 while women’s basketball will open Dec. 31, as it was previously scheduled.

There will be 20 play dates for an 18-game conference schedule in men’s basketball, leaving two open dates. The SEC/Big 12 Challenge will fill one of the open days for 10 SEC schools, while the remaining four will play conference games that day.

Auburn will be one of the ten schools in the challenge, as it was announced last July that the teams competing in the 2020 challenge will also participate in the 2021 challenge. The Tigers defeated Iowa State 80-76 in last year's challenge.

Women’s basketball will remain at its original 18 play dates for its 16-game conference schedule.

The non-conference schedule will begin on Nov. 25 for both men’s and women’s basketball, as approved by the NCAA council on Sept. 16. Preseason practice is allowed to begin on Oct. 14. and teams can hold up to 30 practices until the start of the regular season.

Share and discuss “SEC establishes new basketball start dates” on social media.