AU announces fall 2020 commencement plans

The Auburn Tigers play in Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University announced Tuesday afternoon that its fall 2020 commencement will be held on Dec. 12 in Jordan-Hare-Stadium based on its current health outlook. Spring and summer 2020 graduates will also be allowed to participate, according to the University.

To reduce the number of people gathering for graduation ceremonies, the University said individual colleges and schools will lapse when they recognize graduates at designated times. Ceremonies will have a 10-minute break between colleges and schools.

"Graduates must arrive no later than 20 minutes before their scheduled time," the University said. "Following brief remarks by the dean to families and guests, graduates will have the opportunity to walk across the stage, receive their copy of The Auburn Creed from their dean and pose for photographs with their name on the video board."

The individual ceremonies will be livestreamed for those with health concerns or who may be unable to visit for other reasons, the University said.

Spring and summer graduates who wish to take part must complete a registration form in advance so that they may receive a name card at their ceremony, according to the University. The form can be found on the Auburn commencement website.

The University anticipates over 2,000 fall graduates this year, emphasizing the need for commencement visitors to follow health guidelines. Families and guests will be encouraged to wear face coverings and required to maintain physical distancing at commencement. Graduates will enter the stadium through Gate 10, and families and guests will enter through Gate 8 to keep people properly distanced.

"Students must wear face coverings at all times while inside the Harbert Family Recruiting Center and are only permitted to remove their face covering as they cross the stage for photographs," the University said. "Hand sanitizer will be available and easily accessible for students and guests."

Auburn previously planned a combined spring and summer 2020 commencement for Aug. 8. The event was later postponed "indefinitely" by the University just under two weeks before it was set to take place.

In the event the December commencement in the stadium is canceled, the University said its contingency plans include transitioning ceremonies to Auburn Arena without guests. A livestream would also be offered in this scenario.

Fall graduates may order their keepsake regalia through the Auburn University Bookstore. Those who order before Oct. 23 may pick up their regalia during the week of Nov. 9–13, while those purchasing after Oct. 23 may pick up their order the week of Dec. 7–12.

Anyone with questions about December commencement is asked to email aucommencement@auburn.edu.

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “AU announces fall 2020 commencement plans” on social media.