VJ’s Learning Boards and Binders helps teach homeschooled children

<p>VJ's learning boards are customized for each homeschooled student.</p>

VJ's learning boards are customized for each homeschooled student.

As the fall semester begins for many students, parents of those who homeschool their children seek out new methods of learning. Jamelia Owens and Vernicia Oliver have worked together to help those parents by creating VJ’s Learning Boards and Binders. 

VJ’s learning Boards and Binders started out as a way to teach younger children basic tasks such as tying their shoes, the alphabet, days of the week and counting. But as the demand expanded, so did the business. 

“We received great support from our boards,” Owens said. “But we were receiving more inquiries about older grades. The boards didn’t provide a wide range of learning activities that would keep the older children engaged, so the binders were created. We have binders suitable for toddlers through 6th graders” 

The binders are designed to be more challenging for older children. 

Each board and binder is interactive and can be personalized based on the interest and age  of each child. 

The business began last year when Owen’s godson’s mother asked her to create something similar she saw on Etsy. After they created their first board, they saw an opportunity for business. 

“Vernicia, who received her associates degree in child development, was currently at home due to the pandemic,” Owens said. “Her teacher instincts kicked in and thought it would be a great opportunity to help with homeschooling. We began posting again in April with more consistency, and the rest is history. We have been able to help educate over 150 children in 4 months.”

Owens also noted that not only have the boards been well received by homeschooled children, but many day care centers have also shown support for the business as the boards are extremely easy to keep clean and engaging. 

The two business partners state that the pandemic has helped their business expand and they will continue to grow. 

“The pandemic has really helped our sales,” Owens said. “More children are at home and still need to be educated, so it was a perfect solution for the situation. Although since school started there has been a slight decline, which gives us the opportunity to upgrade our projects and work on more ways to help make learning fun.”

Both Owens and Oliver have a history with childcare and business, and they view the business as a stepping stone to their ultimate goal. 

“This business is the first step for us,” Owens said. “As our ultimate goal is to own a daycare center. We are happy to have had customers in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Arizona and Louisiana. We are hoping to reach children in every state. Our Etsy shop VandJ Kreates will be available soon.”

My Ly | Community Editor

My Ly, junior in journalism, is the community editor of The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “VJ’s Learning Boards and Binders helps teach homeschooled children” on social media.