Auburn defeated 1-0 in Iron Bowl of Soccer

<p>Sep 18, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska (00) during the match between Auburn and Mississippi State at Auburn Soccer Complex.&nbsp;</p>

Sep 18, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska (00) during the match between Auburn and Mississippi State at Auburn Soccer Complex. 

Auburn had its chances with 12 shot attempts, but ultimately the Tigers were shutout in a 1-0 loss to Alabama at the Auburn Soccer Complex Friday.

Friday's contest was the first time all season that the Tigers were shutout. 

"The rivalry games are always a little big crazy," head coach Karen Hoppa said. "We were obviously disappointed in the result because we let in a soft goal and had our chances to capitalize. We need to learn from this and be ready to rebound Monday."

The Crimson Tide found the back of the net late in the first half after a shot from Felicia Knox snuck past Maddie Prohaska. 

The Tigers were determined to find an answer early in the second half, with all six second-half shot attempts coming in throughout an 11-minute span.

Auburn's best chance at an equalizer came in the 57th minute when Hailey Whitaker intercepted an Alabama pass and got past Alabama's goalkeeper. The ensuing shot attempt deflected off the far post. 

Whitaker and Kori Locksley led the way for the Auburn attack with three shot attempts each. Anna Haddock had two shot attempts as well. 

Auburn (3-2-2) will travel to College Station, Texas, to wrap up its regular season against the Texas A&M Aggies (5-1-0) Monday at 3 p.m. CST.  

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.comĀ 

Share and discuss “Auburn defeated 1-0 in Iron Bowl of Soccer” on social media.