Student Center naming ceremony to be held tomorrow

<p>The Student Center was built in 2008 and remained nameless until this semester.</p>

The Student Center was built in 2008 and remained nameless until this semester.

The formal naming ceremony of the Harold D. Melton Student Center will broadcast online on Nov. 20 at 2 p.m. The event will include remarks from University officials and Melton himself.

In early September, the Auburn University Board of Trustees voted to name the Student Center after Harold D. Melton, chief justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia and 1988 Auburn graduate. Melton was Auburn’s first Black Student Government Association president.

Melton graduated from Auburn with a degree in international business and a minor in Spanish. In 2005, he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Georgia by Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue. Two years later, he was elected chief justice by his peers.

Melton is the first person of color to have a building named after them on Auburn’s campus. In a previous interview with The Plainsman, Melton said he understands the mission Auburn is trying to pursue by recognizing him.

“The outward representation — just look at the buildings — they don’t show the openness that Auburn is and the opportunity for achievement for all that Auburn is,” Melton said. “I think Auburn just wants to make clear from those who are just looking from the outside in what we really represent.”

Those interested in viewing the ceremony may visit https://aub.ie/meltonceremony to watch the broadcast.

Trice Brown | Enterprise Editor

Trice Brown, junior in english language arts education, is the enterprise editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

trice@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Student Center naming ceremony to be held tomorrow” on social media.