Campus provides study spots for finals

<p>Ralph Brown&nbsp;Draughon&nbsp;Library on Friday, April 7, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Ralph Brown Draughon Library on Friday, April 7, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

With final exams looming around the corner, knowing places to study is some knowledge to have on hand. 

While studying in the quietness of an apartment or residence hall is a possibility, getting outside and studying in new places may be a refreshing change.

Sarah Sternberg, sophomore in communication disorders, said one place she enjoys studying is in the library.

“I usually study at the library when it is late at night, or if I am craving Panera,” Sternberg said.

Jayson Hill, director of communication and marketing for Auburn University Libraries, said this year the library is not going to have extended hours during finals. 

“We are having to reserve a certain number of hours each day to allow for cleaning and disinfecting,” he said.

This means Sunday through Thursday, the library will be open until 2 a.m. On Fridays, it will be open until 9 p.m. 

However, the library’s hours on Saturday, Dec. 5 are dependent on the football game.

“If we have that home game, it will be 9 a.m. to 1 p.m,” Hill said. “If the game is canceled, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.” 

The library hasn’t decided on other protocols during finals week, but they will have to be following COVID-19 regulations.

“We know we don’t want to unnecessarily clump people together, so you’ll probably see fewer things that draw people into close proximity,” Hill said. 

For instance, the study rooms will follow the same protocol as they have been by having no more than two people in the space at a time, he said.

When she’s not studying in the library, Sternberg also said she likes to study on top of the business building.

“I like to study on top of the business building because it is quiet, but outdoors, so I don’t feel cooped up inside while I study,” she said. 

The fresh air and open space are other factors that draw her to study there, Sternberg said.

“They are nice because you can get privacy but also meet up with friends,” she said. “It’s designed to accommodate all kinds of study habits.”

Sternberg said she usually goes to study at those locations four to five times a week, and she usually starts studying three to four days in advance for an exam, depending on the subject.

Rosa Waite, sophomore in visual media, said she likes studying at Uniq Coffee, Foy Union, Samford Lawn, the Student Center and the library.

“Uniq has really good coffee and is a fun and friendly environment,” Waite said. “Foy is usually quiet, so it is a great place to focus. The Student Center is a great place to study with friends, and there are good food options.”

Waite said she recommends studying at any coffee shop or outdoor space near campus. Auburn has so many good coffee shops, the campus is beautiful and the weather is usually great, she said.

“I like going to Samford Lawn because studying outside helps me focus, and it’s also a fun place to people-watch or eat when I need a five-minute break,” Waite said. “The graduate business building has a really great study space on the fourth floor. The view of campus is amazing, and the weather always feels perfect.”

Abby Winskowicz | Lifestyle Writer

Abby Winskowicz, sophomore in communication, is a lifestyle writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Campus provides study spots for finals” on social media.