Auburn drops SEC home opener to Georgia

Jan 3, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy looks on during during the game between Auburn and Georgia at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn struggled against Georgia’s size and depth on Sunday as they fell 76-44 in Auburn’s SEC home opener.

Unique Thompson was unavailable for the second straight game for the Tigers. Without its leading scorer and rebounder, Auburn struggled on offense and turned the ball over a season-high 27 times. 

The Lady Bulldogs turned those 27 turnovers into 26 points and had seven different players score at least eight points. 

“Georgia is very good at scoring quickly, especially off turnovers,” said Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. “And we’ve got to have people shoot better. We have to be able to score. We knew (Georgia) was going to be very aggressive, especially in the half court. Their defense is really good in the half court, so we knew we had to pop to get open.” 

The Tigers shot 30.8% from the field and were 1-of-11 from beyond-the-arc. 

Auburn was led in scoring by Keya Patton, who finished with 12 points and was 6-of-7 from the free-throw line. Aiding on offense was Jala Jordan, who finished with nine points. 

On the defensive side of things, Romi Levy had a career-best six steals. Honesty Scott-Grayson and Alaina Rice led the way in rebounding with four each. 

For Georgia, Jenna Staiti led the way with 13 points and four blocks. Gabby Connally, Maya Caldwell, Javyn Nicholson and Que Morrison had nine points apiece.

Defensively, Nicholson finished with a team-leading eight rebounds. 

Auburn (5-5, 0-2 in SEC) travels to Oxford, Mississippi, to take on Ole Miss Thursday. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. CST. 

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Auburn drops SEC home opener to Georgia” on social media.