Auburn Police enforce extended health order

Auburn Police Division have continued enforcing Gov. Ivey’s Safer at Home Health Order as students return to campus. 

Assistant Police Chief Clarence Stewart said that the department will again be issuing warnings and citations to those not following the Safer at Home order. This decision follows a reported spike in COVID-19 hospitalizations and Auburn University returning classes. Stewart said that as of Jan. 7, 85 people were hospitalized, and 20 patients were on ventilators. 

Stewart said that these rules are also to help ensure that businesses in Auburn’s community can remain open through this surge in the virus. APD encourages businesses to adhere to the health order. 

The health order states that individuals should wear a mask within 6 feet of others, citizens should maintain 6 feet away from those not in their household when in public and non-work-related gatherings that cannot maintain proper distance are prohibited. 

Bars are also being asked to limit capacity so all individuals can maintain 6 feet between one another. Stewart said that a large part of keeping bars safe is individual accountability. It is up to citizens to properly follow safety precautions out of consideration for others. 

Despite stricter enforcment, Stewart said that warnings and citations will only be issued in extreme cases. The department’s goal is to educate the public rather than punish them. The APD will soon be releasing a series of public service announcements to further inform the community about safety measures and regulations. Stewart also said that the public can find useful information pertaining to COVID-19 on the City of Auburn’s social media. 

Overall, the Auburn community has been incredibly cooperative and followed all required safety measures. Stewart said that by following regulations the public can work together to help stop the spread of COVID and ensure that Auburn maintains its reputations as “the loveliest village on the plains.”

Share and discuss “Auburn Police enforce extended health order” on social media.