Mother and daughter team sells custom masks

<p>Contributed by Kim Hammond</p>
<p>Kim Hammond set out to help her mother establish a face mask business during the early months of the pandemic.</p>

Contributed by Kim Hammond

Kim Hammond set out to help her mother establish a face mask business during the early months of the pandemic.

Kim and Sherry Hammond, the mom and daughter duo behind Handmade by Hammond, have worked to create custom face masks, cowboy hats and, in due time, paintings. 

Kim Hammond is a senior in elementary education with a minor in studio art. She plans on graduating in the spring of 2022 and continuing on to graduate school to get a degree in studio art.

When Kim is not in class, she can be found teaching art skills to kids at The Art Studio Auburn on Saturday mornings. Here she takes on the role of lead teacher, studio coordinator and social media coordinator.

Kim said she enjoys painting, spending time with her cat, Giotto, and exploring local restaurants and small businesses with her friends.

Originally from Jackson, New Jersey, Kim decided to attend Auburn University after touring eight other schools.

“Auburn was the last school I visited as I only came to tour after I was accepted,” Kim said. “ As soon as I set foot on campus, I knew this was where I was meant to go.”

Kim said she is able to show her creative side through her work for Handmade by Hammond. 

“I would describe myself as unique, positive, creative and a dreamer,” she said. “I am always trying to come up with new things to create or find new places to explore.”

Sherry Hammond, Kim’s mother, was born and raised in New Jersey and still resides there today. Sherry is a full-time bank manager. Sherry said she enjoys making masks and going to the lake or the beach. 

“Any vacation is a good vacation, especially if I get to spend time with my daughter and husband,” Sherry said.

Kim and Sherry created Handmade by Hammond to produce unique products that are “fun and suit the needs of people today”. Kim said it started with her mom not wanting to wear the disposable masks people were wearing during the beginning of the pandemic. 

In an attempt to solve her own problem, Sherry ventured out to the craft stores to source materials for mask making.

“At first it was masks for just my mom and I,” Kim said. “Then it turned into masks for friends, then coworkers and then expanded from there.”

The two started out making plain black cotton masks and within the past year have expanded their designs by using different patterned fabric such as florals, camouflage and Auburn and Alabama themed material. 

The pair also makes masks for the different seasons and holidays including Halloween, Valentine’s Day, the Fourth of July and Christmas. Sherry has done custom orders for wedding parties, masks for First Communion and neck gators. Recently they have been making a lot of satin masks for those who prefer a material other than cotton.

Shifting away from mask making, the mom-daughter duo has expanded into making custom cowboy hats as well. Kim said the idea was inspired by a Tik Tok trend.

“The hats are painted, glittered, feathered, and stoned for all occasions be it birthdays, bachelorettes, costumes or a big or little reveal,” Kim said.

The idea to start a small business was a collaborative effort. Mask making was Sherry’s idea, while the idea to create an Instagram page in order to expand reach was Kim’s suggestion. 

“It was only natural for us to work as a team because we always have,” Kim said. “Our entire lives we have been an unstoppable mother-daughter duo.”

Sherry is in charge of the sewing of the masks and Kim handles all things social media, custom hats and paintings. Custom orders are available on all pieces as long as they are given enough time to source the right supplies.

“We absolutely love creating products that bring people some amount of excitement during these crazy times,” Sherry said.

Abigail Woods | Culture Editor

Abigail Woods, magazine journalism, is the culture editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

@abigailewoods

Share and discuss “Mother and daughter team sells custom masks” on social media.