Tigers set program record against South Carolina

Via SEC Media Portal.
Via SEC Media Portal.

It was a record-setting performance for Auburn against South Carolina on Saturday.

The Tigers took care of business Saturday on the road against South Carolina in a 109-86 win. Auburn’s 109 points are the most points scored in an SEC road win in program history.

Auburn was led in scoring by Allen Flanigan, who finished the day with a career-high 24 points. He was 7-of-12 from the field and 6-of-6 from the free-throw line. 

“You know, everybody who comes to Auburn, we come here to make history,” Flanigan said. “So really it’s just being able to make history, get out here and play great. We made history tonight.”

The Tigers had five players score in double-digits against the Gamecocks. Joining Flanigan in double-digits was JT Thor with 14 points, Sharife Cooper with 16, Jaylin Williams had 18 and Devan Cambridge finished with 10.

While Auburn dominated offensively, South Carolina was able to keep the score close to start Saturday’s contest. The Gamecocks were up 13-12 with 13:52 left in the first half before a Flanigan 3-pointer gave Auburn a 15-13 lead.

Once Auburn took the lead back on the Flanigan 3-pointer, they never lost the lead again. 

At halftime, the Tigers led 57-42 behind Cooper’s first-half double-double. The freshman guard had 10 points, 11 assists and five rebounds heading into halftime.

“To be a great undersized player, you’ve got to be the toughest guy on the floor,” said head coach Bruce Pearl. “Sharife is going to get bounced every game, all game. It doesn’t bother him. He’s a tough kid, and this is required among undersized players.”

Auburn opened up the second half with a 6-0 scoring run before a South Carolina 3-pointer ended the run, but Auburn remained in the driver’s seat in the second half.

The Tigers outscored the Gamecocks 52-44 in the second half. Ten of Auburn’s 12 players that saw in-game action in the second half scored at least one basket. 

“We came out in the second half and didn’t take our foot off the gas, particularly offensively,” Pearl said.

The Tigers’ largest lead of the game came late in the second half after crossing the century mark. Auburn was up 31 points with 4:27 left to go before making substitutions with the game well out of reach.  

The Tigers improve to 9-7 overall and 3-5 in the SEC with the win. Auburn returns home to Auburn Arena and will host Missouri on Tuesday at 8 p.m. CST. 

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Tigers set program record against South Carolina” on social media.