Auburn unable to overcome Arkansas offense in loss

Via SEC Media Portal.
Via SEC Media Portal.

Despite a hot start offensively on Sunday, Auburn ultimately fell to No. 19 Arkansas 77-67. With the loss, the Tigers fall to 0-8 in the SEC and are 5-11 overall.

Auburn held a 13-point lead midway through the first quarter, but the Razorbacks outscored them 24-10 in the second quarter and never lost the lead. 

Unique Thompson led the way for Auburn and finished with 18 points and 19 rebounds. Thompson's double-double was the 53rd of her career and 11th of the season. 

Honesty Scott-Grayson also dropped in 17 points and led the team with three assists. Joining Thompson and Scott-Grayson in double-digits was Keya Patton, who finished with 10 points.  

Romi Levy also pulled down a career-high 12 rebounds and finished the game with eight points.

In the contest, the Tigers were 19-for-21 at the charity stripe and outrebounded the Razorbacks 50-30. 

Despite those positives, the Tigers only shot 34% from the field while Arkansas shot 44%. The Razorbacks also made 11 3-pointers, with Auburn making just two.  

“The energy was there,” said Auburn head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. “It was there yesterday in practice, it was there this morning in shootaround. They’re right there. They’re really working hard to get a win.” 

The Tigers had a second-half surge led by Thompson, Scott-Grayson and Patton, but after pulling within single digits in the third quarter, Arkansas’ shooting kept Auburn out of contention.

Arkansas was led by senior guard Amber Ramirez, who finished with 19 points and five 3-pointers.

“It’s hard to guard Arkansas because they spread you out so far,” Williams-Flournoy said. “But we can’t let our offense dictate how we play at the other end, we can’t have letdowns on the defensive end because we miss a shot.”

The Tiger’s next game will be on Thursday at Auburn Arena, where they face No. 4 South Carolina. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. CST.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn unable to overcome Arkansas offense in loss” on social media.