Auburn's late rally not enough in 12-6 loss to Baylor

Feb 20, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers pitcher Richard Fitts (43) pitches the fall during the game between Auburn and Presbyterian at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Jacob Taylor/AU Athletics

In their second game of the Round Rock Invitational, the Tigers were unable to keep Baylor’s bats quiet, losing 12-6 on Saturday. They drop to 5-2 on the season.

Junior Richard Fitts (0-1), who made his second start of the season, was beaten up early. He allowed six earned runs in only 4.1 IP, including a home run on the game’s second pitch to Baylor’s Jared McKenzie. Fitts was replaced in the fifth inning by Brooks Fuller, who also struggled to keep the Bears down. In only 1.2 IP, he allowed five runs on five hits and three walks.

“We just got off to such a tough start,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “We hung in there against Oklahoma. Today, we just gave the plate away from Jump Street. From the first batter of the day, we gave the plate away.”

The sole bright spot for the Tiger’s pitching staff came from redshirt junior Peyton Glavine, son of Hall of Fame Braves pitcher Tom Glavine. In three innings, he allowed only one hit and no runs. The lefty showed off his ability to pitch into soft contact, forcing four Baylor groundouts in the final three frames.

“He was the first one who controlled the plate today,” Thompson said of Glavine. “He got a game ball because he came in and really took the sting out of their swing, being ready to pitch.”

The Auburn bats, quiet for most of the day, scored four runs in the final two innings. Tyler Miller, who accounted for three of the Tiger’s nine hits on the day, hit a two RBI triple in the ninth inning to decrease the lead to seven runs. But a Garrett Farquhar strikeout with the bases loaded ended the game and any hopes for a comeback.

Auburn’s last game in Round Rock will be against 3-3 Texas A&M on Sunday. First pitch is set for 11 a.m. CST.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn's late rally not enough in 12-6 loss to Baylor” on social media.