Scott-Grayson's career-high not enough in loss to Missouri

Jan 28, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers guard Honesty Scott-Grayson (23) goes up for a shot during the game between Auburn and Texas A&M at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Despite a career-day from Honesty Scott-Grayson on Sunday, Auburn could not contain Missouri's offense in the 85-75 loss. 

The first half of Sunday’s game featured both teams trading long scoring runs. Missouri played notably slower, using crisp passes to get open shots on the inside or get space on the perimeter. They also used plenty of muscle down low, with Aijha Blackwell and LaDazhia Williams combining for 15 points and five rebounds in the first half.

In the first quarter, Missouri's offense exploded, shooting 75% from the field en route to a 31 point quarter. Williams led the scoring for the black-and-gold Tigers on the day, with 19 points.

Redshirt sophomore Scott-Grayson had 20 points in the first half, including a 4-for-5 mark from 3-point range.

“You could tell right from the jump,” said head coach Terri Williams-Flournoy. "She hit her first 3, she came out ready to go. We just needed a few more people. This wasn’t a game where we were questioning our offense. It was our defense that needed to be better.”

After the half, Missouri took advantage of Auburn's defense, especially in the paint, and went on a 17-5 scoring run in the first five minutes. After scoring 20 points in the first half, Scott-Grayson scored 10 in the second half but was subbed out in the fourth quarter due to some hard hits.

She finished with a career-high 30 points, shooting 58% from the field.

“Our defense wasn’t there,” Williams-Flournoy said. “Missouri is a very good offensive team, but to give up 85 points was just way too many.”

Unique Thompson finished with 14 points and 13 boards, notching yet another double-double in her historic career. Keya Patton and Kira Lowery both added eight points each.

Auburn’s next game is on the road against No. 25 Georgia on Thursday. Tipoff is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. CST.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Scott-Grayson's career-high not enough in loss to Missouri” on social media.