University received 700 vaccines last week, Med Clinic director says

<p>The Auburn University Med Clinic in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn University Med Clinic in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University received 700 new doses of the COVID-19 vaccine late last Friday afternoon, according to Dr. Fred Kam, director of the AU Medical Clinic. Just one day before, the University alerted the Auburn community that they were pausing vaccinations as their supply ran out.

Most of these doses are going in arms today, Feb. 25.

Kam said in an email to The Plainsman that all of the 700 doses received will be administered today as second doses for those who were unable to get them previously or were scheduled for their second dose today.

Kam said that the new allotment of vaccines were transferred from East Alabama Medical Center and expects the next shipment to come through the Alabama Department of Public Health.

"ADPH and EAMC have been consistent loyal partners in helping us make the Auburn University and greater community safer," he said. "We are very thankful for what they have done and given us so far."

News of the additional 700 vaccines was not shared with the general public because the University knew the EAMC shipment on Friday would not contain enough vaccines to be administered to people with second doses scheduled for the weekend. 1,100 people will not be covered by the latest shipment of vaccines and are still in need of their second dose.

Kam said he understands ADPH is facing challenges with vaccine distribution because demand is currently greater than its supply of shots allocated by the federal government.

"I would not like to be in [ADPH's] position and respect the magnitude of what they are doing," Kam said.

The University has worked with with ADPH and EAMC to allow volunteers to coordinate mass vaccination efforts on and off campus, Kam said.

Reporting for this story was contributed by Tim Nail.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “University received 700 vaccines last week, Med Clinic director says” on social media.