AU Hockey Club sells new jerseys ahead of fall season

<p>Brandon Weis in play on the ice during a previous Hockey Club season.</p>

Brandon Weis in play on the ice during a previous Hockey Club season.

CORRECTION: Social media posts by The Plainsman promoting this story called the Club Hockey Team an intramural team, which it is not. We apologize to our readers for this mistake.

Auburn University's Club Hockey team is fairly atypical compared to the heartland of the college level of the sport – the atmosphere on Notre Dame’s campus when the hockey team plays contrasts the relatively microscopic shift when Auburn’s team laces up the skates. The Tigers are a club team in the standalone South Eastern Collegiate Hockey Conference and haven’t hit the ice since the end of the 2019-2020 season, so the team doesn't have as many fans walking about campus like the University's football, basketball or baseball teams.

Currently, the Hockey Club is holding its annual jersey drive to raise money for next season. This year's drive features newly designed hockey jerseys and will end on March 16. Brandon Weis, junior in business administration and club president, said the team felt it was time for a facelift for their uniforms, which are designed by apparel manufacturer Rebirth Sports.

“Our white jerseys were kinda old looking, so I called up Rebirth and asked them if they could design something similar to our football team’s jerseys,” Weis said. “They drew it up and sent it over, and we liked it.”

The team is selling both orange and white jerseys to fund its next season, with customization of the name and number tacking on no additional cost for buyers. All proceeds go toward funding team member dues and general costs of the club. The Hockey Club hopes fans may find the jerseys useful for the chilly weather of the fall semester, and the jerseys fit snugly over a hoodie or jacket.

The Auburn University Hockey Club's new jerseys are available for purchase featuring either player names or custom names.

Zach Roos, a forward in the Hockey Club, said the team will be setting its sights high during its upcoming season in the new jerseys. 

“It’s an electric factory,” Roos said. “We’re one of the best teams out there, and we’re gonna make a run for the [championship] this year.”

Weis agreed, saying the Hockey Club is hoping for a stronger year with new recruits.

“This next season is gonna be the best Auburn Hockey team that's ever been assembled in our club’s history,” he said. “We had a tough loss to Ole Miss in the semifinals last year in overtime, but we only graduated three guys and brought in eight, nine, ten more. We’re gonna be even deeper and better.”

Mike Lafferty, a newly-recruited defenseman in the Hockey Club, said he has “high expectations” for the team's next season. As the University slowly returns to normalcy, so does the team; players have formed a beach volleyball quad and hang out regularly off the ice. Outside of the rink, the club's players consider themselves good friends.

Fans may purchase the jerseys in white or orange color schemes, either featuring a custom name and number or a specific player's name and number. Each jersey costs $125 and can bought on the Hockey Club's online shop.

The Auburn University Hockey Club hopes to begin its next season in September. The team plays its home games in Columbus, Georgia, at the Columbus Civic Center, but fans can follow along with WEGL’s radio coverage if they aren’t able to make the drive over.

Share and discuss “AU Hockey Club sells new jerseys ahead of fall season” on social media.