Auburn drops second game against Missouri

Feb 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Kaylee Horton (6) during the game between Auburn and Southeast Missouri State at Jane B Moore Field. Mandatory Credit: Matthew Shannon/AU Athletics

No. 24 Auburn lost 6-5 against No. 18 Missouri Saturday at Mizzou Stadium. 

Sydney Cox and Kaylee Horton had solid performances at the plate for Auburn as Cox had two hits, including her first career home run, while Horton had three hits.

“I thought the top of our lineup did a nice job,” head coach Mickey Dean said.

Auburn had a tough day in the circle as they allowed six Missouri runs. KK Dismukes got the start and pitched 1.1 innings allowing one earned run and walked four batters. 

Lexie Handley took the loss for Auburn, as she allowed four earned runs in two innings of work. Samantha Yarbrough pitched in relief of Handley and allowed only one hit and no runs in 2.2 innings.

“We just have to put it all together,” Dean said. “Our defense was shaky at the beginning. It was a tough day for the pitchers. We gave up seven walks and a home run. We’ve got to be sharper there.” 

Missouri started the scoring in the bottom of the second inning, as they scored one run off a fielder's choice.

Auburn did most of its damage in the third inning, scoring four runs in that inning. One run scored on a Makenna Dowell single, and another scored off the throw. The other two runs came off an Alyssa Rivera single.

Missouri came right back with a three-run home run in the bottom half of the third inning.

Auburn was only able to score one more run after the third inning, which came from Cox’s home run.

Missouri put up two runs in the fourth inning to take a 6-5 lead, and they never let go of that lead.

Auburn had a chance to tie or take the lead in the top of the seventh inning, as Horton doubled, but Missouri got out of that threat after forcing back-to-back ground balls.

The first pitch of Sunday's series finale is set for noon CST and will air on SEC Network-plus.

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Auburn drops second game against Missouri ” on social media.