Auburn's bats quiet in loss to Alabama

<p>Auburn Tigers Aspyn Godwin (00) makes contact during the game between Auburn and Alabama at Jane B. Moore Field on Mar 12, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics</p>

Auburn Tigers Aspyn Godwin (00) makes contact during the game between Auburn and Alabama at Jane B. Moore Field on Mar 12, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn and Alabama squared off in a pitcher’s duel Saturday, but the Crimson Tide ultimately came away with the 4-1 victory.

Shelby Lowe got the start for the Tigers. The freshman pitched 5.1 innings allowing only two earned runs, four hits, two walks and struck out three. 

“I thought she did a wonderful job,” said head coach Mickey Dean of Lowe. “She really gave us a chance tonight.” 

While the freshman from Carrollton, Alabama, may have shined on the mound, Auburn struggled at the plate. The Tigers’ first hit of the game did not come until the fifth inning, and they finished the day with three total hits.

“We were swinging at balls in our third at-bat that were nowhere near the zone," Dean said. "And I know that we’re better than that.” 

The game was scoreless through the first three innings before Alabama got on the board first. The Crimson Tide had runners on second and third before a double drove in one run. 

Alabama attempted to bring home another run with one out but was called out on a play at the plate. The third out of the inning was a strikeout, and going into the bottom of the fourth, Alabama led 1-0. 

In the bottom half of the fourth, Makayla Packer was walked with one out. Packer advanced to second on a ground out before stealing third and scoring on a fielding error. 

At the end of four, Auburn and Alabama were all tied up at one-apiece.

The tie lasted until the sixth inning when the Crimson Tide’s offense broke through and scored two runs. 

With runners on second and third with one out, Alabama’s Bailey Dowling singled to center field. Dowling advanced to second on an error while two runs scored. 

After Alabama took a 3-1 lead, Lowe’s day was done as Dean called upon KK Dismukes to take over in the circle. Dismukes pitched 1.2 innings in relief, allowing one hit, one unearned run, one walk and struck out two. 

The Crimson Tide added a fourth and final run in the top of the seventh inning. The fourth run came on a double that scored another unearned run. 

Auburn finished the day with two fielding errors which resulted in two runs scoring.

Auburn and Alabama will finish the three-game series Sunday at Jane B. Moore Field. The first pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. CST, and the game will be broadcast on SEC Network.  

“Every game you play is important,” Dean said. “Any games you let go by now, you’ll have to make up for later in the SEC standings. Every game is big.”

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Auburn's bats quiet in loss to Alabama” on social media.