Maddie Penta named SEC Freshman of the Week

<p>Auburn Tigers Maddie Penta (4) delivers during the game between Auburn and IUPUI &nbsp;at Jane B. Moore Field on Feb 27, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics</p>

Auburn Tigers Maddie Penta (4) delivers during the game between Auburn and IUPUI  at Jane B. Moore Field on Feb 27, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

After pitching a no-hitter over the weekend, Maddie Penta was named SEC Freshman of the Week by the conference on Monday.

This is the second time this season that Penta has won the weekly honor. She is the first Tiger to win multiple SEC Freshman of the Week awards since Kasey Cooper in 2014. 

She is the first Auburn pitcher to win the honor multiple times since Anna Thompson in 2007. 

During the weekend, Penta pitched two complete-game shutouts for the Tigers. She allowed four hits and four walks while striking out 27 batters over a combined 14 innings of work. 

Against IUPUI on Saturday, Penta struck out 16 consecutive batters and carried a perfect game into the seventh before walking a batter in the final frame. 

Penta finished the day against IUPUI with 17 strikeouts and the second no-hitter of her career.

The freshman's 17 strikeouts on Saturday tied for the second-most in program history. The single-game program record is 18 strikeouts.

Penta's second no-hitter makes her the first Auburn pitcher to throw multiple no-hitters in the same season since Marcy Harper in 2014. 

Following this weekend's games, the freshman pitcher improved to 5-0 on the season with a 0.85 ERA.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Maddie Penta named SEC Freshman of the Week” on social media.