Auburn defeats South Alabama 3-0 on senior day

Auburn Tigers defender Sarah Houchin (12) during the match between Auburn and LSU at Auburn Soccer Complex on Feb 26, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via:  Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics.
Auburn Tigers defender Sarah Houchin (12) during the match between Auburn and LSU at Auburn Soccer Complex on Feb 26, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics.

Auburn defeated South Alabama 3-0 on Saturday behind a strong offensive attack on senior day. The Tigers have now extended their winning streak to four games in a row.

Auburn was able to hold the ball for most of the game, as the Tigers outshot the Jaguars 17-5.

Before the game, the Tigers honored both senior defender Sarah Houchin and goalkeeper Dani Kaufman and kept the festivities going by sending them out with a win.

"It feels really great," Houchin said. "I was just really happy to be able to spend it with my team. Those are the people that mean the most to me, my teammates. I know they all played really hard for me and Dani today, so it was really good to go out with a win."

The scoring started in the ninth minute when Hailey Whitaker sent a pass up to Olivia Candelino, and she put it in the back of the net.

Auburn scored 24 minutes later when midfielder Anna Haddock scored with a 25-yard shot. Whitaker was credited with the assist, her second of the game.

Auburn’s final goal came eight minutes into the second half when Mallory Mooney sent a cross inside the box to Whitaker, who found the back of the net after multiple touches.

Auburn’s offense was able to control most of the game, but goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska still ended with four saves.

"I thought it was a really quality offensive performance," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "I thought we could have had some more, and we weren't as sharp as we could've been in the final third. But overall, a really good result. We limited their opportunities at goal, we got a lot of players a lot of minutes and created some really good goal-scoring chances."

Toward the end of the game, coach Hoppa put Kaufman in at goalkeeper for her final home game.

"I'm really pleased for the seniors," Hoppa said. "Great that Kaufman got in as a grad transfer senior." 

Auburn is currently fighting for an at-large NCAA Tournament bid and is now 9-5-3 on the season. The Tigers' final game of the regular season will be against Virginia Tech on April 17. The kickoff time for the final game of the season has yet to be announced. 

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Auburn defeats South Alabama 3-0 on senior day” on social media.