Bullpen shines as Auburn beats Samford 6-4

Cody Greenhill pitching against Samford on April 21, 2021. Photo via: Grace Schinsing/AU Athletics

Auburn defeated Samford, 6-4, in a midweek matchup in Plainsman Park on Tuesday. With the win, Auburn moves to 15-18 on the season. 

“Good to get this first win of a home trip,” said Auburn head coach Butch Thompson. “Every win is huge for us right now.”

Auburn got the scoring started in the first inning with a 2-run home run by Tyler Miller. This was home run No. 11 on the season for Miller. 

That lead lasted all but a third of an inning before Samford tied the game and eventually took the lead. Tyler McManus walked to start the top of the second inning and a few pitches later Ryan Crockett launched a ball over the left-field wall. 

A pitching change and two pitches later Samford took the lead with a home run by Kaden Dreier. Back-to-back home runs for Samford had given them a 3-2 lead. 

Ryan Bliss started the bottom of the third of with a double for Auburn. Following a Miller strikeout, Rankin Woley drove a ball over the fence to recapture the lead for Auburn. 

Steven Williams stepped up next and sent the ball packing to the South Donahue dormatory. The back-to-back home runs gave Auburn a 5-3 lead. 

Brody Moore followed those home runs with a double. Bryson Ware drove Moore in on a groundout RBI. Auburn led 6-3 thanks to the Ware RBI. 

Samford answered a few innings later with an RBI single from Sonny DiChiara. That would be the final run of the game and left Auburn with a 6-4 lead.

It was a bullpen day for Auburn as a combination of six Auburn pitchers got them across the line. Trace Bright got the start for Auburn but only went one inning. Bright gave up one hit, one walk and two earned runs. 

Peyton Glavine earned the win tonight following his two innings of work. Glavine allowed one run on two hits before being replaced. With the win, Glavine moves to 1-1 on the season. 

Cody Greenhill returned to his familiar closer role tonight as he picked up the save. Greenhill sat the Bulldogs down in order in the 9th inning and earned himself his first save this season. 

“Especially closing, I love having the crowd there,” Greenhill said. “I just want these guys to get these runs and let me get in the game”

Ryan Bliss did it from the plate today as he went 2-3 with a double, a walk, and two runs scored. 

“[Ryan Bliss] is such a consistent ball player,” Thompson said. 

Auburn will look to win once again when they take on Jacksonville State on Wednesday at 6 P.M. CST in Plainsman Park. 

Share and discuss “Bullpen shines as Auburn beats Samford 6-4” on social media.