City Council holds first in-person meeting in new Council chamber

<p>The Auburn City Council held their first meeting in the new Council chamber on April 6.</p>

The Auburn City Council held their first meeting in the new Council chamber on April 6.

On April 6, the Auburn City Council held its first in-person City Council meeting since March 2020. Not only was this the first in-person meeting in over a year, but this meeting also marked the first held in the new City Council Chamber within the City’s new Public Safety Building. 

“It is with great anticipation that we are all here tonight,” said Mayer Ron Anders. “We’re proud to open up this beautiful new building that hopefully will be a great place for Auburn to conduct its business and for people to come make its decisions as we lead Auburn into the future.” 

While reining in the new, Anders also paid tribute to the old. 

“It was disappointing that we weren’t able to say goodbye to our old building next door in a more appropriate fashion," Anders said. "It served our community for over 45 years. It was the home of some great people that stood up here and made decisions on behalf of this City… and great community citizens that supported and participated in citizen government.” 

During the Committee of the Whole, when discussing the election of a new member on the Historic Preservation Commission, Ward 2 Council member Kelley Griswold questioned the qualifications in the nominated applicant Nick Hayes. Hayes, who has already served a half-term on the commission, was recommended for re-nomination by Anders. 

“He has no background in history, architecture, architectural history, urban planning, archaeology or law,” Griswold said. “Nor is he a resident in a historical property or the district. Based on that, I don’t think the applicant is qualified to serve.” 

City Manager Megan Crouch confirmed that Hayes’ ownership and renovations made to his property in the Historic District legally qualify him for the position.

Hayes was appointed at a 6-3 vote, with Ward 1 Council member Connie Fitch-Taylor, Griswold and Ward 6 Council member Bob Parsons voting no. 

Anders requested the suspension of the rules regarding typical Board and Commissions policy for appointing new Auburn City Schools Board of Education members. He asked that existing board member Dr. Terry Jenkins be exempt from the interview process since he has served one full term and is seeking a second. Griswold expressed his opposition to this request to “waive the rules” as he believed it does a disservice to those who did apply for the position. 

Anders apologized to member applicants for his late request.

“I apologize to everyone who applied for this position thinking that they would have an opportunity to interview and potentially be appointed to this school board position,” Anders said. “And I’ll own that, no question about that.” 

He concluded by holding his position, believing that Jenkins should need not reapply when he wants to seek his second full term. Ward 8 Council member Tommy Dawson expressed support of the Mayor’s request. 

The request to suspend the rules was approved at a 7-2 vote. Griswold and Fitch-Taylor voted no. 

When discussing agenda items, Baseline Surveying and Design owner Ledge Nettles requested approval from the Council for the construction of four townhomes on Martin Avenue. Unlike other ‘permitted’ uses for the area which includes an animal kennel, laundromat, and Academic Detached Dwelling Unit, the construction of single-family townhomes must be unanimously approved by the Council. Nettles stated his preferred use of the site would be for fee simple lots than the other already permitted uses that require no approval from Council. Prior to this meeting, the City Planning Commission recommended denial of the request for single-family townhomes. 

“Just for your information, I don’t love this, and it’s in my ward, but I don’t like the other options either,” said Ward 3 Council member Beth Witten. “It’s like the lesser of all the options… I’d rather see fee simple lots than what the options are.” 

The Council unanimously approved the use request. 

Share and discuss “City Council holds first in-person meeting in new Council chamber” on social media.