Pitching the difference in Auburn's 7-2 loss to Bulldogs

Jack Owen (44) pitching during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Plainsman Park on Apr 10, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA. Photo via: Matthew Shannon/AU Athletics

Auburn dropped the second game of its three-game series against Mississippi State on Saturday, losing 7-2.  The Tigers are now 12-15 overall and 1-10 in SEC play this season. 

Jack Owen, who earned the start for Auburn, was in trouble early on into the game, as Rowdey Jordan led off with a double to start the game and later came around to score on a single up the middle.

After shutting out the side in the second, Owen allowed two home runs, including a three-run shot from Tanner Allen in the fourth inning. In total, Owen allowed six earned runs in only 3.2 innings of work.

“Jack was great last week," said head coach Butch Thompson. “I thought both days here we just threw a couple of bad pitches, and they hit them and launched them.”

Will Bednar, who started for the Bulldogs, had the longest appearance of any pitcher for Mississippi State this season. He pitched seven innings, striking out seven hitters and only allowing one run.

“I thought it was pretty simple today,” Butch said. “[Bednar] just didn’t give us anything. I think that was the best start we’ve had against us this year.”

Cam Hill's solo homer in the second inning got Auburn on the scoreboard, but overall the offense was quiet.  The Tigers only tallied seven total hits and failed to draw a walk on Saturday. 

Ryan Bliss was able to push another run across with an RBI single in the eighth, but it was too little too late.

The Tigers finish this series on Sunday with Joseph Gonzalez taking the mound for Auburn. The first pitch is set for 2 p.m. CST.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Pitching the difference in Auburn's 7-2 loss to Bulldogs” on social media.