Tigers fall in extra innings to Ole Miss

April 18, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Shelby Lowe (55) pitches the ball during the game between Auburn and Kentucky at Jane B. Moore Field . Mandatory Credit: Jacob Taylor/AU Athletics

Auburn dropped the first game of a three-game series to Ole Miss 1-0 in Oxford, Mississippi, on Friday. The contest was scoreless through seven innings until the Rebels sealed the win with a walk-off in the eighth inning.

In a scoreless pitching duel, Shelby Lowe and Ole Miss' Anna Borgen went toe-to-toe in the circle for almost the whole game. Between the two pitchers, only eight players got on base through seven innings.

Ole Miss loaded the bases in the bottom of the eighth with a single to center, a walk and a hit by pitch. Blaise Bringer then ended the game for the Rebels with a single up the middle to bring the runner on third home.

“They had opportunities, we had opportunities,” said Auburn head coach Mickey Dean. “In eight innings, they had one hit with a runner in scoring position. That’s the difference in the ballgame.”

Lowe struck out seven Rebels while throwing 7.1 innings for the Tigers. Ole Miss may have gotten six base hits in seven innings, but Lowe held the Rebels scoreless and forced the game into extra innings.

Former Rebel and current Auburn senior Kaylee Horton picked up a single and reached the bases twice in her return to Oxford on Friday, while the Tigers totaled just four hits offensively on the day.

The Tigers will be back at it for game two against the Rebels on Saturday at 7 p.m. CST on the SEC Network.

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “Tigers fall in extra innings to Ole Miss” on social media.