Ryan Bliss earns All-SEC honors

Mar 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers infielder Ryan Bliss (9) beats the tag at first base during the game between Auburn and Little Rock at Plainsman Park. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Following the conclusion of the regular season, Auburn shortstop Ryan Bliss was named to the All-SEC Second-Team and the All-Defensive Team, the conference announced Monday. 

This is the second time that the conference has recognized Bliss as he was named to the All-Freshman Team in 2019. He is the second Auburn shortstop in the last three full seasons to earn All-SEC honors. 

The conference’s head coaches vote on the SEC awards. 

The LaGrange, Georgia, native finished the season as the only player in the SEC to finish in the top five during conference games in batting average, slugging, runs, hits, doubles, RBI, home runs and total bases.

Bliss was also ranked in the SEC’s top five overall in average, slugging, hits and total bases. 

The shortstop’s .362 average and 14 home runs are the most by an Auburn shortstop in the same season since Doug Gilcrease hit .386 with 17 home runs in 1982. 

Bliss had multiple hits in 26-of-51 regular-season games, including 16-of-30 in SEC play. 

Along with his SEC honors, Bliss is a semifinalist for both the Brooks Wallace Award and the NCBWA Dick Howser Trophy. 

Auburn will take on No. 5 seed Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament Tuesday at 8 p.m. CST at the Hoover Met. 

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Ryan Bliss earns All-SEC honors” on social media.