Auburn mourns death of women's athletics pioneer Jane B. Moore

<p>Jane B. Moore, Auburn athletics pioneer, has died. She was born in 1935.</p>

Jane B. Moore, Auburn athletics pioneer, has died. She was born in 1935.

Jane B. Moore, who made history in her service to Auburn athletics, has died, Auburn Athletics announced Friday afternoon.

“For more than 50 years, Dr. Jane Moore made an indelible impact on Auburn University and Auburn Athletics,” said Athletic Director Allen Greene. “She believed in the human touch, a quality she consistently demonstrated to student-athletes, who have benefited profoundly from her example.”

First coming to Auburn in 1969 after earning her doctorate in physical education from the University of Alabama, Moore made history in 1975 when she became the first woman to serve on the Auburn University Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics. Moore served on various committees for both men’s and women’s athletics for more than 40 years.

“No one loved Auburn, Auburn University, the Auburn way of life, more so than Jane Moore,” said David Housel, former director of athletics. “You can easily say, and should say, that Jane Moore is the moral standard by which Auburn’s women’s athletics program is judged.”

Auburn’s softball complex was named Jane B. Moore Field in her honor in 2002 and dedicated on April 26, 2003.

“Jane B. Moore was a special person in the lives of the Auburn softball athletes,” said Tina Deese, Auburn’s first softball coach. “She was a mentor to me as a young coach and as a person. I so appreciate her guidance through the early years of the softball program. She will surely be missed by friends and athletes.” 

Moore was a pioneering researcher and served in faculty positions in the College of Education and what is now the School of Kinesiology for 28 years and established the Kindergarten Motor Development Program as a partnership between the College of Education and Auburn City Schools. 

Moore was also instrumental in establishing the organization Women Inspiring and Nurturing Greatness in Student-Athletes, which promotes and supports women’s athletics at Auburn.

“Dr. Moore was an incredible woman who impacted so many lives,” said Meredith Jenkins, former Auburn senior woman administrator. “She gave so much of herself in support of Auburn Athletics. The program would not be what it is today without her. She loved the coaches and student-athletes and was extremely proud of their accomplishments. She was a wonderful mentor and friend. She will be deeply missed.”

Moore was honored for her work, receiving the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award and the Pamela Wells Sheffield Award, which recognizes Auburn women exemplifying grace, character and a selfless service and commitment to Auburn University and the Auburn Family. 

In 2016, Moore received the Auburn Alumni Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award and was inducted into the University of Alabama College of Education’s Hall of Fame in 2018.

“Dr. Jane Moore was a beloved professional colleague, good friend, an outstanding teacher, a lifelong leader in the College of Education and School of Kinesiology and a mainstay in Auburn Athletics,” said Susan Nunnelly, Auburn women’s athletics pioneer and retired faculty member. “She may have earned a degree from that ‘other university’ but she was a true Auburn woman and proud to be an Auburn Tiger. There was no doubt Jane believed in Auburn and loved it.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn mourns death of women's athletics pioneer Jane B. Moore” on social media.